QUICK FACTS ABOUT NEW HEIGHTS CHARTER SCHOOL
- Founded in 2006 by Amy Berfield and a group of educators, community health experts, and artists
- Executive Director – Amy Berfield
- Location – Los Angeles, CA on two campuses
- TK – 8 enrollment – 430 students
- Faculty – 22 full time teachers; 30 full and part time staff
- Average Teacher/Student Ratio 22:1 (Class size varies by grade level.)
- Before School, Afterschool, and Summer programs
- Campus resources: iPads/computers for each classroom, classroom libraries with literature and nonfiction text, and fully equipped science kits.
Two Los Angeles campuses
The Lower Campus
Transitional Kinder – Second Grade, Administrative Office
2202 Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90008
The Upper Campus
Third – Eighth Grade and Administrative Offices
3989 Hobart Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90062
- Strong college-preparatory program from which each student will develop a personal commitment to learning
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accreditation
- Lower School Athletic Teams
- Upper School Athletic Teams
- The only LA charter school to receive two Teaching American History grants from the US Department of Education.
- TK-8 Social and Emotional Development program includes: Daily Class Meetings, Counseling: Social worker/counselor on campus, and conflict resolution
- Daily Physical Education: Emphasizes connection between mind and body
- Life Skills Teaching: students receive information, communication, and decision-making skills needed for responsible, caring behavior towards self and others.